Friday, March 21, 2014

Favorite Plant Friday: Little green chilli plant (aka Thai green chilli)



Inspiration for growing this plant: If you've ever cooked southeast asian food you will know the inspiration. These little green chillis are used in nearly every savory dish cooked southeast asia (ok maybe not every but a lot of them).

What do I love about this plant: It has been flowering and producing chillis ALL WINTER LONG. It also held up against a spider mite infestation I had in the dead of winter.

I also love that this plant "tells" me when it needs water. Chilli plants like water but when grown in containers in the winter overwatering can be a problem. This plant droops its leaves when it wants water and I don't have to guess what is appropriate.

Growing tips: Don't throw out this plant at the end of the summer season. This plant was actually outside in the ground last summer and I decided to dig it out and throw it in a pot to over winter it. I do treat it for insects before I brought it indoors I used this method to do this.

My reason for trying to overwinter this plant was because they are really slow to start from seed here indoors in a zone 6 winter. In tropical climates these plants are perennials here in temperate climates these perennials become annuals, because they can not tolerate the snow.

Source:  I started this one from seed which I bought from here Bangkok (F1) Seed From Johnnys Select Seed.

No comments: