Sunday, June 14, 2015

First tomato of the season....

The first tomato of the season is always such a big deal to me. I guess its because most of my tomatoes are indeterminate so I know that I will have tomatoes from this point till the frost really sets in. Of course the first tomato is my sungold cherry tomato. Its always the sungold. This is not even the first tomato I planted. I love these tomatoes.  The are really sweet, they are always the first to ripen, are absolutely prolific plant, and will produce till the frost.  I even make sauce with these tomatoes (my son likes having pasta with orange sauce). 


So this year grew all of my tomatoes from seed. I finally figured out how to grow them properly from seed. My Dad gave me this file cart (pictured below) and I attached two shoplights to them. This year I also remembered to collect 2lb plastic yogurt containers. I started the tomatoes in coco coir pellets and then transferred them straight to these yogurt containers (you can see them under the shoplights in the picture). It really worked out well.

Of course I can't go a season with my Mighty Sweet Hybrid Grape Tomatoes from Burpee. My daughter's favorite.


Last year all my large tomatoes were heirlooms, which were difficult to grow. So this year I decided to try some hybrids.  The SuperTasty Hybrid tomato from Burpee, is the first new hybrid I am trying (I bought these seeds on sale at the end of last season). So far so good... this is my first cluster of tomatoes and no sign of blossom end rot or anything.  I am hoping it tastes good.


Indigo rose!!! I had some of these cherry tomatoes last year and I saved the seeds from them (they are open pollinated). These are so cool. It is really neat to see them turn blue.


Two years ago I grew a Burpee Black Cherry tomatoes and I didn't like it. This year I bought TGS's Black Cherry, which is the original Black Cherry variety. I am hoping that it is as tasty for me as it is for others.

I have two other large tomatoes.... neither have set fruit yet and pretty much look like the picture below. First is the Red rose tomato.  Which is a cross between brandywine and Rutgers tomatoes. I have grown both of these with luck so I am hopeful this will be disease free and tasty.

The other large tomato I am growing is Kellogs breakfast potato leaf, which I grew last year. This year I am keeping it pruned to a single stem. My hope is that this keeps it relatively disease free and lets the plant really focus on the fruit.





















No comments: