Monday, February 06, 2017

2016 Grow Season Recap


It seems to be the norm now that at somepoint during the summer I just stop blogging. So before I start with the 2017 season why don't I just catch you up on 2016.


I successfully grew my first watermelon! Watermelon really need lots of heat and we definitely had that last summer. My kids were thrilled about this. I actually had so much watermelon it was great. This size was just perfect for us. There were a lot of seeds but I just cut around the portions with the seeds and voila no seeds.


This was the summer of peppers!!! These are a fraction of  the thai chilli peppers that we grew. I made so much siracha sauce this year.


Another pepper... Ancho, I had two plants and they were producing all the way through November.


 Another first this year was that we finally got to eat plums from our Shiro Plum tree. We have had this tree for at least 4 years but the deer love it and have eaten the fruit before we get any.  So what is the difference you ask.....  its this cute little something:


We still get deer in our yard just not as much because Trixy loves to chase them.  At night time, before bed, we usually let her out the front door. If there are any deer she'll chase them into the forest. I really think this helped the plum tree. The deer still ate some of the blossoms but there were 4 that they didn't eat and as soon as they started to develop fruit we put deer netting over them. So we were able to harvest 4 plums... yes I know not really a lot but hey its something. It partially makes up for her pulling out my blueberries


One of the biggest problems I had this year was taking care of the garden while I was away for vacation. At the end of August I went away for two weeks and since I don't like to bother people to water my garden, I just kind of let the garden be. This gotu kola was my star... it totally died from the heat. However it sprouted back up in a few days (this picture is taken after we came back) and was huge and bushy before the first frost.

This was also a good year for ginger. Ginger needs 5 full solid months of sun... which is difficult in Zone 6. So I planted this in my front yard which is south facing and hoped for the best. It was still baby ginger when I pulled up the plant but I don't think I've ever harvested this much ginger baby or otherwise.

So thats a little bit of how the 2016 grow season went. I have a few other posts planned so hopefully there should be at least one post a week for most of February and I won't be gone for so long. For those that made it to the end of this post .... Thank you!!

No comments: